A wonderfully easy, tasty recipe, from Louise Blair's Low GI Cookbook (2005).
Prep = 10 mins Cooking = at least 2 hours
4 lamb shanks (about 200g ea)
12 small rosemary sprigs
4 garlic cloves, cut into 3 slices
1 teaspon olive oil
2 onions, cut into wedges
600ml lamb or beef stock
200g long-grain rice
12 dried apricots
4 dried figs
1. Make 3 deep incisions into each lamb shank. Insert a rosemary spring and piece of garlic into each incision. Season well with pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan, and brown the lamb shanks and onions thouroughly.
3. Pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer very gently for 90 mins (1 1/2 hrs) or until the meat is tender.
4. Chop the dried fruit into small pieces. Add the rice and fruit to the pan, cover and cook until the stock is absorbed and the rice is cooked (10-12 mins).
5. Serve with seasonal vegetables.